Car Expense Tax Relief for Employees/Directors

tax document A tax relief may be claimed by an employee/director for car expenses incurred for business purposes if the employer provides inadequate reimbursement. To claim relief you must firstly calculate the total running costs for the year (allow for wear and tear i.e. depreciation), then identify the amount for business use and deduct the reimbursement made by the employer. Please note the tax relief only applies to business usage and you cannot claim for usage travelling to and from your place of work or personal usage. A claim may be made for the past 4 years and this should be made directly to the Revenue Commissioners. Following the end of the tax year, any tax relief due will then be refunded.

What questions do you have?

We are happy to help. Please post your comment below or call Louise Edwards on 01 677 9000. Alternatively, send her an email: ledwards@cooneycarey.ie

If this article helped you, please share it with other businesses.